Submitted: 11-03-2008 by adb

I have to agree with "thinkpolicy" (10/16/08 review). It is important to understand what the Blast is NOT!! before you buy one. I purchased this kayak a couple of years ago and this is an updated review.

I am approx. 5'10" and 190 lbs. I am pretty comfortable for a 2 to 3 hr. ride. Anyone much larger than my size will NOT be happy with this kayak. The Blast is a plastic kayak, no rudder or skeg. It has dual tracking channels on the underside of the boat, similar to Perceptions'. I have NEVER had really bad tracking problems with this boat. It moves fairly effortlessly through the water and holds a pretty straight line with minimal corrective strokes.

You can NOT compare the Blast to a larger rec boat because it will fall short every time. I just got back from a 3 hr. outing on Farrington lake in N.J., threw the Blast in the back of my van, closed the doors and headed home with little effort. Now, if I was heading out to the bay, the Blast is out. You must ask yourself, what is my intended use for this kayak? Mine was, a small boat for my kid, my wife, and myself for playing around in.

With that said, what a great little boat!! I can't believe they stopped making it, (yet Dick's never seems to run out of them?). I have paddled quite a few places since I last reviewed this kayak and have learned many things. No matter what boat I eventually upgrade to from my current WS Cape Lookout, I feel I will always enjoy this Blast every now then. Finally, if anyone out there is thinking about buying this kayak for it's INTENDED purpose, go get it, "while supplies last". See you out on the water.