Submitted: 11-02-2008 by k1_paddler

Mine is a 2000 model year. I'm not sure how it differs from other model years. I read in other reviews about a rudder. Mine, thankfully, does not have one. It would, however, benefit from a skeg. It tracks horribly in even the slightest wind. I still give it a 9 though since everything else about it is great.

I read people say it is not for beginners.....I can't imagine why. It is incredibly stable and could have been made 2 inches skinnier. I got mine used having been previously owned by multiple people. There are many hairline cracks in the gelcoat both on the deck and hull. I don't know if it was banged around or if it just has a poor quality gelcoat job. The Shearwater should fit most people comfortably...I'm 6 ft. and 225 lbs. I may mount a surfboard skeg to the hull to straighten things out.