Submitted: 10-20-2008 by yacom

This is a follow up on my review on 06-06-2008. Ok I did get the new boat few days before my trip so not a lot of time to test it out but here I am, gone for a month.

First thing, I notice after a day paddling…3 sponges of water in the rear hatch... every day, all the time. DARN! Check the cover, check the skeg cable, taped it to make sure nothing is leaking from it, still, water and only water in the rear hatch. After the trip, I had the boat checked by a friend of mine, this is what we found.
- Not enough fiberglass on the back of the skeg cage, the water is leaking through the thin, thin layer protected almost only by the gel coat.
- Skeg housing coming of the skeg cage, needed to be re-glassed in.
- Crack skeg cage, not enough fiberglass, barely holding on the boat, poor construction, needed to be re-layered, top to bottom.

My final review
I agree with Corkran, this is an exceptional boat to paddle but what a poor company for construction and quality control. My wife bought a Tempest 170 pro at the same time than mine... same %##%% problems, once again, poor construction and a lot to repair for a $3000 boat…to much to repair as far as I am concern.

Wilderness is now out of my list for the purchase of my next boat since there are alternatives such as the Impex Assateague that behave as good as the Tempest 180 pro. You will pay a bit more but you will not have to curse and keep on fixing it... a NEW boat? Sorry Wilderness, you did not stand behind your product. You should review your card stating, "inspected by" ...it's worth nothing.

If you come on Vancouver Island, you won’t find a whole lot of retailers selling Wilderness System, specially in Victoria since they all dumped the company because of unsatisfied customers and because of to much repairs to do on a brand new boat.

So be aware before buying a Wilderness 180 pro, it is a great boat to paddle, no doubt about it and I am giving it a high rating for that, 9/10 but 0/10 for company support, construction and quality control. Check carefully the boat before buying it; you may get many bad surprises.