Submitted: 10-08-2008 by YakChap

I have given this boat a 9/10. There are better boats out there, but I have rated it on how well it fulfills it's specific purpose; that of a cheap beginner boat

I got the slightly longer K109, which is about 12'8" but otherwise identical to the K79. I have had it three months and put four holes in it - all my own fault and not one of them has occurred on the water (all were done through clumsiness on my part when transporting it). If you have to carry it any distance, get a folding upright trolley for it.

It doesn't track well sadly, but nor is it supposed to - it's a white water boat that is intended to be able to turn on a sixpence, which it does. Get the optional skeg, it's worth it. However, I also made a 75cm long by 20cm deep fin to strap to the underside of the hull like a false keel. It now tracks brilliantly - I'd even go so far as to say that it tracks better than a hard shell with my homemade fin.

It is rugged, and can take some abuse. You will get punctures, that's inevitable. Odds are, though, that they will be slow punctures. Punctures are easy to fix using seamseal (don't bother with patches for small punctures - save them for if you get a tear or large hole).

The seats are useless. I kneel to paddle, as if you sit on the floor you will sink into it and find that your legs are a few inches higher than your hips - so you are basically trying to paddle while holding a crunch, which is painful to say the least. Kneeling is very comfortable though.

It is extremely stable too. I use mine to fish from, and often anchor it in the river with a folding anchor and stand up in it to fly fish.

There is one small issue. In direct sunlight the PVC will expand and you will lose air pressure in the side chambers. DO NOT TRY TO ADD MORE AIR IF THIS HAPPENS. You will stretch the PVC and weaken it. The yellow Tahiti looks silly, but the yellow colour reflects more sunlight than the green one, so is slightly less susceptible to this phenomenon.