Submitted: 10-06-2008 by gerry p

I picked up a dvd copy of "Show Me How Videos w/Peter Cassin 2" in the spring and, if it was a book, it would be so full of dog ears and underlining that I'd be due for a new copy already. This has been my go to source for fine tuning my advanced strokes and rescue techniques.

In the name of full disclosure, I took my ACA Open Water Instructors Workshop and Exam with Peter to a great degree due to the quality of his instruction on the dvd. He is not just a grade A instructor in real life, he plays one just as well on TV (in the disc).

Material is presented in a concise, straightforward fashion. His routine is to verbally introduce a stroke, model it from a few angles and than recap verbally. As an instructor myself, I know first-hand that clients usually retain only about half of what you describe and show them. Peter has this process down to a fine science. His explanations leave subtle depth, allowing viewers room for self discovery, even over multiple viewings. Modeling skills are shockingly clear and effective. If you can wrestle your boat half as well as him, you should consider doing a video yourself.

The advantage of taking a class is getting personalized feedback. The beauty of studying technique in a video is the ability to go back, over and over till it sinks in. I found this dvd well suited for not just prepping for the difficult, demanding Instructor's Assessment but have used it to fine tune tweak my skills subsequently. Both the strokes and rescues shown in the disc are not just scholastic exercises, they have real world applications. If you are moving from basic skills needed for flatwater "lilly dipping" (covered in dvd 1) to bumpy water, more adventurous paddling and want to be able to hold up your end as a member of a pod, this is the exact sort of stuff you need to know.