Submitted: 10-06-2008 by burruss

I was able to purchase several used kayaks over the summer and test them out (I later sold them, Craig's List is a blessing). The Specter 15 is the last boat purchased. I look for a utility oriented boat that I can paddle on small creeks/rivers, mid sized lakes or large lakes like Michigan. I use a boat for exercise but also to fish from and just spend time on the water.

POSITIVES: Being 6'3" and 240 lbs (size 13 feet) the specter has more than ample room. Under the fordeck seems like a cave with room. It is not heavy and unmanageable to lift(consider my size). It has a lot of storage space and could easily carry enough gear for an extended weekend.

NEGATIVE: It is a barge, read SLOW! I have paddled wide boats before, some are faster, some give the illusion of speed, this boat is just slow and lumbering. Additionally you will need a rudder. I went paddling on a small lake, very calm, and it tracked very poorly. I did notice that, even with my weight, the boat rides high in the water. I was thinking of putting 30 pound bags both fore and aft to see if it would track better with more weight (mind you with me there would be just over 300 lbs. in the boat). With the rudder it paddles fine as a barge, you will get no where fast.

In another review there is talk about how the hull plows through the water, as opposed to riding up over the waves. Make no mistake this boat pushes the water aside as you move through it. Perhaps with some people this will give them a sense of speed. I paid $700 used for it. Next year new plastic boats are supposed to go up by as much as 30%. As such used boats will increase in value as well. I probably will sell the boat or trade it in. If you want something a little sporty, whatever that means, stay away from this boat.