Submitted: 10-03-2008 by fatkid

This was the boat of choice for my tour from Crescent City, CC to Mission Bay San Diego, approximately 1000 miles. While talking to Necky, I explained that I needed the Toyota Truck of kayaks, not the fastest but a tough boat that won't give it up. I spent around 63 continuous days in the saddle. The seat works well, in conjunction with the factory backband. The thigh bracing and foot pegs are simple and highly effective. The design for the hatches also incorporates heavy duty flanges and lid that provide a great seal and added structure to the boat. The front deck also includes provisions for a recessed compass, like the Brunton 70p. The cable that operates the skeg is simple in nature and has yet to give me any problems. I even found that skeg is easy to deploy with gloves in cold water.

The combination of the up swept bow, stern, and rocker provide awesome control in big surf, as well insane water conditions. I also found that the wind has little effect due to the low profile. This boat is by most considered to be too low volume for touring. However, I manage to fit 16 days worth of food in it between resupplies. Another issue that others mention is the weight. There is no question as too why it weighs 63lbs, when you see the heavy duty construction that went into the design of this boat. The weight is a compromise that I accept for the rugged nature of coastal paddling.

The only feature that I am not entirely sold on is the day hatch, that is more of preference though. My other kayaks include Prijon Kodiak and Seayak. I also found that this boat rolls effortlessly, and has a nice stiff combing that works well with my sprayskirt. Soft shine and narrow beam work well also. This is quality boat that has made me believer in the Necky Design team. Would consider using a composite Chatham 17 as well.