Submitted: 10-02-2008 by shiraz627
Today I had the opportunity to test paddle a Current Designs Vision 140 w/rudder in a cove on the lower Hudson River. First off let me just give you a brief background on myself. This my third season paddling I currently own a Necky Manitou 13 and an Old Town Cayuga 146 w/rudder, I'll classify my ability as a lower intermediate with most of the paddling in my home range consisting of smaller lakes, rivers, and protected coastal areas on Long Island Sound.

Some of my impressions from the 30 minute session were that the seat was very comfortable and the boat did seem to fit me well, you cannot adjust the foot peddles while in the yak as the adjustment releases are behind the moving foot peddles. After spending a few minutes getting the feel of the boat I wanted to see how well the boat accelerated up to a cruising speed. I thought this boat was no speed demon and on a par with my Old Town Cayuga which takes a little bit to get going so I was disappointed in that category.

As far as turning, this boat needed the rudder to make it turn which is OK with me as I'm a rudder person anyway. The rudder deployed and retracted flawlessly each time I engaged it much more than I can say about my Old Town Rudder. Both hatch covers were easy to remove and put back on. This yak is Made in China.

I might have bought this boat if it was faster than my Old Town Cayuga plus it was 15 lbs lighter at 40 lbs which makes for easy car topping loading. I guess I'll keep searching for the perfect yak for me!