Submitted: 10-01-2008 by dand883
I usually paddle an Old Town Cayuga 146 and you can see my review of it for most of the things like hatches, rigging, seat, etc, I don't want to write it all out twice.
The 130 is a little shorter than the 146, so while it does track really well for the length, it's not quite as straight as the 146, when I paddle hard I get the nose wandering a bit. I have noticed more with this one than the 146 if you stop paddling, you will start to turn a little to either side. I find this is more the little bit of bow wandering I just mentioned than any problem with the hull design itself, and it takes very little to keep it going straight. Both lengths glide really well, with the 130 being easier to turn as it is shorter.

The cockpit rim is slightly bigger, so it holds the skirt a bit tighter, but inside it seems to be the same size, but as I mentioned in the other review it's plenty big for me 6'2" 215 lbs, but any taller and you might have some trouble with the foot braces. I find though for my size, I am probably on the high end of the weight range for this boat, I can paddle it no problem, but don't feel like I sink in as much with the 146, so make sure you try both out if you're thinking of getting either one.

I have not had the 130 out in as many conditions, has been mostly calmer, smaller water, so I can't say how it performs in rough, windy, wavy conditions, but based on how the 146 handles them all, it should be fine. Being easier to turn it may weathercock a little more, but I'm not sure. Overall it's a great boat, I gave it an 9 for the small problems described here and in my 146 review, and took the extra point off down to 8 only for it being on the small range for my size/weight.