Submitted: 10-01-2008 by dand883
I have been paddling the Cayuga 146 for about 4 months now every weekend and so far I have no major complaints. I have been out on small and large lakes, small creeks and very large rivers and sheltered bays on the ocean. Have even been out in pre hurricane winds/waves.

So far the things I have noticed that I didn't like, which are pretty minor things overall, are: with the cross lock hatches, you really need to push down on them when you close them for them to seal properly, if not a bit of water will seep in. The deck rigging on the front is in a box shape instead of an X, which is just personal preference more than anything. And as someone said earlier, the rim around the cockpit could be set in a little deeper to hold the skirt better, but I also have a Cayuga 130 as a spare boat, which has a slightly larger cockpit, which the skirt holds onto a lot better. So it seems more like a problem with the skirt being a more universal one than a problem with the cockpit rim itself, but it would be nice if they compensated for it a little. The kayak weathercocks a bit if you have waves/wind coming from behind you, but not enough you can't compensate for it easy enough. And being a big guys, 6'2" 215 lbs I fit in the boat well, but any taller, and the footpegs probably wouldn't be long enough, i use them pushed as far ahead as possible, so try one out if you have any doubts.

So now for the good things. The boat is very stable, even for a guy my size, i don't feel confined or uncomfortable at all. It tracks quite well without a rudder, but on the flip side, takes a bit to turn, so it's not for small narrow streams. I have always felt stable, even in up to 3-4 foots waves. I don't have a rudder, but I would recommend one if you think you need it, makes the boat rock a little less with ocean waves, and keep straight in the wind. If you need to turn a lot it might help where this boat is made for tracking straight. The seat will seem like it would be more comfortable than it really is at first touch, but i still find it quite comfortable for 2-3 hour + trips. Lots of room in the hatches, no troubles with bulkheads leaking, and the day hatch has been called by some not quite 100% watertight, but the only water I have gotten in there has dripped in off the cover when I opened it up to take a look.

So overall, I think it's a great boat, would recommend it to anyone if stable, straight tracking is what you want, and only give it a 9 for the minor things I had up top.