Submitted: 09-30-2008 by Pat

I just bought a used( hardly, once on the St Croix river) Adventure 160 XL. My rating is conditional in anticipation of putting the boat in the water. I have been paddling a Nantucket for 6 or seven years and the Adventure seems to be a longer version of that. The Nantucket has been great but was built in one of those years that the boats came out of the factory a bit heavier than advertised. The Adventure 160 I just bought is actually lighter than the Nantucket. My old boat has a rudder, the new one does not but I will probably add one.

I paddle almost exclusively long days on the coast of Maine and the rudder has come in handy. I have talked to some of the snobs who snicker at OT kayaks, but I have tried other brands and am happy to stick with OT. I even like the hard plastic seat in my Nantucket. The soft seat in the Adventure is liable to ruin me.