Submitted: 06-13-2000 by WPS

The other two reviewers are very enthusiastic. I am somewhat less so. The St. Croix is lighter than the Old Town Discovery series, and cheaper than Royalex boats. And certainly more of a real canoe than the Colemans or the Wal-mart specials. The good points - very stable, both initial and final. Easy paddling, not fast, but gentle laid-back strokes will keep it moving nicely even into the wind. As said, lighter than the other poly boats; I just got back from a trip and portaged it OK, and I am 55 and by no means a buff guy. So why didn't I rate it higher? Tracking. Tracking just does not seem to be part of the package. I tried every way of trimming, and it just hates going straight. Drop your paddle for a minute to watch a loon or whatever, and you are sideways. River rats might like this boat, but I'm saving up for a wenonah.