Submitted: 09-27-2008 by Lazilightning

I bought a plastic '92 Aquaterra Sea Lion with a rudder, in perfect condition for $500 in the fall of '07. I called Perception to find out their relationship to the brand name Aquaterra. The guy that answered the phone said that Perception began making whitewater boats and when they started making sea kayaks they used the Aquaterra brand name so whitewater enthusiasts would still think of Perception as a whitewater specialist.

I'm 6'4" 210 lbs with a size 15 foot. I am comfortable using the rudder foot controls in bare feet, but have difficulty wearing sandals or shoes. Otherwise the factory thigh braces and other cockpit proportions are a perfect fit.

I have taken this boat out on lake Superior into 15 knot winds gusting up to 25 with 3-4 foot swells, and occasionally areas of reflection waves. I thought the boat was extremely stable, if not super fast. The tracking was fine, and the rudder controls after 15 years worked without a problem.

My boat is a little under outfitted. I have added lifelines on the far bow and stern. The hatch covers are held down with straps and clips rather than bungees. Worst of all the foam bulkheads have 2 large 6 inch slits in each of them. The bulkheads there fore are in no way waterproof. I bought some Aquaseal to seal them up with no problems to date.