Submitted: 09-23-2008 by Kstorm64

I bought my Quest used, it is an earlier version. I tested this and a WS Rage, I found the rage to be a faster boat, but it was not as comfortable nor did it hold nearly as much. While kayaking on the Brazos river in Texas with a friend I ended up hanging up on a strainer, I got tossed (my fault not the boats). I watched in horror as my boat was hung up and the river was pounding on it. It didn't flex, or give way. My buddy rammed it with his and it popped free. No worse for wear. I was impressed and several people have told me stories about boats buckling under the pressure a river can place on a hull.

Quality: everything seems well made and holds together well. One of the nice thing about Hobies is the availability of spare parts, I go to my local Hobie Dealer and can replace things as needed. My old inner cargo nets were sun worn and needed replacing, they had them in stock and it was easy to replace. My local shop gave me an older style 8" hatch and I mounted in the stern where the Hobie logo is. Now I have an extra hatch for what ever. For fishing this has a huge rear area that will hold two milk crates with room to spare. My Kayak came with the rudder system and I find with the rudder she tracks well, with out it she tends not to. This boat was designed for fishing so the hull tends to be flat. I have gone over every Elkhorn Slough outside of Santa Cruz, CA and never ran aground in 4 inches of water. They claim you can stand in this but I have never tried that. It is very easy to get in and out of.

I give her a 9, the only draw back, it came with pre-molded hand grip in the hull, which I found uncomfortable and not very usable for any great distance, have since added a set of the normal handles on and that fixed the problem, and I understand they now come that way. I have used it a lot, and can say it is a good purchase and if you look at used Hobie prices they hold their value as well.