Submitted: 09-22-2008 by Cormorant

I tried out my friend's Catalyst the other day and thought it was overall a pretty decent boat. It tracks pretty for my light weight (145 lbs.) and is pretty fast as well. I'm not sure if it would make a very good beginner boat, however since my other friend tried it out who had never kayaked before and capsized it within a couple of minutes. Also, he was zigging and zagging quite a bit since he weighs about the same as me. However, the boat stayed very buoyant after it was filled at least halfway with water. Also, was hard to empty it (couldn't find drain plug if there was one). I would recommend this boat to someone who has at least a little kayaking experience but not sure its worth the money for a new one. Otherwise it seemed pretty stable to me and felt pretty good. I think if it were mine though I would outgrow it pretty quickly since its not very versatile (flatwater mostly) and not really very fast. Maybe it's better with a heavier paddler?