Submitted: 09-16-2008 by BKehoe05

My wife and I both bought a pair of leftover 2008 model Manitou 14s. This is the first kayaks for both of us, but I have some limited experience with other models. I will say that so far these kayaks are well worth the purchase. They handle well and for the most part track well too. I just rolled mine this past Sunday on a lake and even after having it flipped upside down for more than a minute all the hatches remained dry even after the kayak itself had roughly 4 inches of water in it. I did notice the outer edges of the neoprene were wet, but no leaks. My dry sack stayed dry!!! I will agree though that the yak itself does not turn on a dime. It tends to be sluggish and this was prevalent during the slalom exercises a friend and I did. He was able to dart in and out of the submerged trees in his Prijon Touryak and I was not nearly as nimble in the Manitou (hence why I crashed head on into a tree). Overall though the yak itself works fantastic and is relatively comfortable. Even our 9 year old has learned to paddle in the Manitou. I love the Manitou but I do think that something with a little better response would be nice.

New York Kayak Co.: