Submitted: 09-15-2008 by knickerbocker

I have owned 5 sea kayaks over the years and currently paddle a prijon Kodiak.... While I love my kodiak(extremely fast for a 61 lb 17 ft boat, and bomb proof HTP plastic) I wanted to get a kayak that I could "play" in a bit more..... I'm a bigger paddler.... 6'0 ands a muscular 235.... built like a NFL fullback with most of my wt. in my legs. When I heard about the Zephyr.. it seemed like it would fit the bill.... 23 inches wide, only 16 ft long and rocker..... After a couple of months of waiting for one to come in I was finally got a call from Dave the owner of Spring River (Annapolis Canoe and Kayak) saying he had two in and to come on down.

I was immediately impressed by the boat... great looking design and color pattern(swirled yellow and orange) ... the plastic seemed pretty stiff and tough.... and that is coming from someone who has owned two prijon boats over the years.

The conditions on the bay that day days were "choppy" in Annapolis.... once I cleared the Annapolis Harbor boat traffic I was able to get out a bit more into the open bay.... The chop was coming from all directions.... What I was initially struck by was how stable the initial stability was..... Despite being hit by waves and chop from every which way.... it felt like I couldn't flip this boat if I tried..... I didn't really edge the boat too much or push the secondary stability because of the number of jellyfish in the bay... but based on what others have posted... I'm sure it is good.... The boat tracked surprising well without using the skeg.... which surprised me given the amount of rocker the boat has.... My weight may have had some affect though on the stability and tracking....

One big difference I did notice from my kodiak is that this boat really rides up and down the waves and it a rougher ride.... where my Kodiak slices through just about anything and is not affected much by wind or waves... again the trade-off of having more rocker.... Speaking of rocker the boat turned on a dime.... with only slight corrective stroking; didn't really have to edge it..... Surf waves were minimal that day but I did manage to catch a couple and the Sephyr did fine... I sure this boat would be a blast on bigger water and rougher conditions.... The outfitting on the boat was basic but very good.... Only wish new kayaks who pick up on prijons lead and start putting their day hatch in bow( right in front of the paddler in a neoprene bag) rather than behind...

Not sure if I would replace my kodiak with the Zephyr for general paddling but I am strongly considering getting the Zephyr as a play boat for rough days on the bay or for surfing at the beach....

I think Wilderness system has a winner with the Zephyr..... a great playboat; particularly for a larger paddler.