Submitted: 09-15-2008 by beccka

I reviewed many kayaks and found the best kayak for camping and fishing appeared to be the Manta Ray 12 from Native Watercraft. They did a lot of upgrades after taking it over from Liquid Logic. This kayak is supreme. Its layout is well thought-out including the drain plug on the side so you only have to roll your kayak over to drain it out. Everything is recessed to avoid snagging fishing lines. The storage hatches are all designed not to leak - though my 9 score is only for the fact the back hatch should have been design larger to all use of the entire back storage area. It is a bit small and hard to load items in. You have ample opportunities to add accessories. I outfitted mine this weekend with rod holders in the back and Scotty holder in the front and anchor trolley from watertrail paddling gear. A lot of friends were going with Tarpons, which are fine kayaks, but I fish as well so this was the perfect combination for both fishing & overnight camping trips. Now just to add the rudder and I'll be set for my kayak trip to the Everglades in January. Plus - the seat - can I say COMFORTABLE?! My bum is very happy!