Submitted: 09-11-2008 by RR

I have paddled about seven boats so far and have taken the Seayak out a few times and spent many hours in it each time out, enough, I feel, to form an object able opinion on this boat. The first time I took it out it was very windy and with the rudder down the boat tracked very well I found. I did find the boat to be a bit on the slow side though. (Ive found the Kodiak to be way faster) I really had to work to keep the thermoform I was out with in sight.

On one of my "windy" outings in the Seayak, I decided to try it without the help of the rudder and found the boat to be useless without it. All it wanted to do was turn up wind even in more mild wind and with a good breeze, I found I had to continually fight the boat to get it to go in any direction other than up wind which made going forward extremely slow.

As I said I spent many hours in it each time out and as far as comfort goes Id have to give that boat some high marks, very comfortable. That being said I am 6 and 200 lbs and found the cockpit to be a bit on the small side for me. (its designed for smaller framed paddlers) Getting in and out was a bit of work. Once in it was ok it was just the getting there. The boat also has great room for storage and looks like you could bring your house with you. The hatches do a very good job at keeping the water out and have a nice look about them as well. It also has a dry hatch right in front of the coaming, nice, works well, great location but a little hard to get into.

Overall I think the boat is made very well and looks like it could take some serious abuse and is capable of much but if your in or near the 200lb range, you may want to check the Kodiak out. Very nice kayak with more room. If you get the Seayak get one with a rudder, youll need it with this one. It does not do well in the wind.