Submitted: 09-09-2008 by DesertDave
I acquired the Prodigy 12 on sale ($529), because I wanted a lighter 'play' boat for fun and camping, when the longer kayaks were too much trouble. I also tried the Acadia series kayaks, and I couldn't control them at all. Two other acquaintances also gave similar opinions as validation.

The 12 has a very large cockpit, this and the initial stability make it easy to get in and out of, high dock, low dock, sand bank, rock ledge, you name it. I could drop my butt in, wash off my feet by hanging them over the side, and keep the inside clean. The large interior space makes it easy to keep your water bottles and even a small cooler handy, either behind the seat or in front of your feet.

I paddled it 12 miles yesterday on a flat lake, calm to 8 mph winds. The easy seat adjustments made it a breeze to stay comfortable. The footpegs are also easy to adjust to my 6'0" 200 lb. needs, on the fly as required. It tracks well, and minor course corrections happen with a lean. The short size make turning around in inlets or creeks quick and easy.

It is a rec. kayak and is less efficient than a touring or sea kayak. I was very tired after paddling 12 miles. It has foam bow flotation and a rear bulkhead. I didn't test the 'secondary' stability since I wasn't sure I'd be able to do a wet recovery, with small rear deck and extra large cockpit.

I think it will be a fun kayak for shorter trips on lakes and reservoirs, and as a loaner to friends who want to try kayaking. It is easy to hand carry at 48 lbs, and the length will facilitate the storage, and the ability to take it along camping.

YakGrips: