Submitted: 09-08-2008 by tarwheel
I paddled a P&H Scorpio and Capella RM 166 at a demo sponsored by a local paddling store. My intention actually was to test the Capella, which I liked a lot. However, the Scorpio really blew me away because it seemed so much quicker and maneuverable without sacrificing any stability. I tested about 5 boats that day -- in addition to the P&H models, a Necky Manitou 14, Hurricane Tracer 165 and Hurricane Santee Expedition. The Scorpio really blew me away compared to the other kayaks, although it was also the longest and most expensive. It also has 4 hatches including a small day hatch right in front of the cockpit.

I was initially considering the Capella for my next step up in a sea kayak (currently paddle a Necky Manitou 13), but I might have to save a little longer and get a Scorpio. The Capella was my clear second choice among the kayaks I paddled, but the Scorpio was tops. Oh yeah, both of the P&H kayaks were poly models not composite or fiberglass.