Submitted: 09-06-2008 by Scott

Just bought the (recycled/select) Manitou 14, I upgraded from a Sun Velocity with a skeg.
I'll start with my one and only gripe, maneuverability. It turns okay but as compared to the Velocity, which you can pirouette on your hip, it's sluggish to what I'm used to.

Other than that, on calm weather it glides and tracts like a dream. I find the seat and thigh braces very comfortable, though I can see how some may not like it, it has a larger then most kayak seats out there. The skeg seems okay but you do lose a bit of space in the rear hatch. However, if you pack right it should be okay. I like the skeg slider it's nice and easy to use. The weight, for a poly boat is quite reasonable. Oh and the price is great, if you can go for the recycled, the color sucks but you get the Manitou 14 Select for a cheaper price.

I suggest that you go to a dealer where you can demo, everybody's different and you may not like the Manitou or you may love it. Find the boat you love and keep on kayaking!