Submitted: 09-05-2008 by Jason Keller

Being currently in the market for a boat I did a lot of research, and although I haven't pulled the trigger, I started on my test runs lol.
Being in San Diego, I have the wonderful opportunity to be involved with a great Meetup Kayaking group that meets at Aqua Aventures. I had been eyeing the Zypher 16 for sometime on-line, so I headed over to Aqua Adventures a little bit earlier to talk to Jake about this boat. He told me they had one down on the dock, so I rushed down and put my gear in the boat and waited for the others to arrive. Jake told me the boat was very comfortable and had sick secondary stability. I was very excited to get this baby on the water.

I took the poly boat out for a run in Mission bay. I would say I took the boat about 5+ miles in pretty flat conditions. The boat was pretty fast... even had a race in it ;) I won LOL... anyways, the boat did have sick secondary stability... was pretty quick, and very comfortable. I am 6'1" 185, and the boat fit me wonderfully. My only complaint is that I needed the sked to keep the boat going straight... so tracking was average at best without. This boat turns on a dime while being very stable! There was some water in the bulkheads... but this baby was a rental, so who know how it got there.

Also, the boat is pretty easy to handle at 54lbs... I was able to get it down and put it away by myself. This boat gets 8 out of 10 for tracking concerns more than anything... basically this boat is still on my buy list