Submitted: 09-05-2008 by Laura N

Let me update my review of the Pelican Break kayak now that I have had it a while and have been out a dozen times or so on various lakes.
Basal conditions - I am female. five foot twelve and a hundred and a half pounds. I am severely asthmatic and have some neurological condition that has left me weakened. Light weight is a requirement.
I use Stearns 4 piece performance kayak paddle - not the lightest, but okay.

Havasu 1.
I arrived about 1300 on 22 August 2008. I placed the boat into a nice bay and enjoyed glassy and clear water. Then as I prepared to exit the bay, I found buoys saying that watercraft are not allowed in the bay! So I beat a hasty retreat so not to be ticketed. Was okay because the days air temp was very high. I did some land recon in preparation for a second go at Lake Havasu.

Havasu 2.
Launched off the city beach. Much water traffic. Noise and confusion and fumes. But the reward was boat wakes! Yip! There was about a one foot swell from SSW due to wind on the lake's fetch area. Then a foot to foot and a half chop - distant wakes and very confused. I had no spray skirt as it had not arrived yet.

Boat dealt with the surface well. No handling troubles at all. I took waves on the bows, from astern, on the beam and quartering. No trouble. I sat still and took chop from all sides and no trouble. I dove into two foot wakes bow on and then another set beam on. No trouble.

I got wet by spray. No blue water over decks. I never had to either bail or brace. Stability was good in roll, pitch had bows and stern floating nicely over the waves and tracking was no problem at all.

Speed seemed about the same as I get on calm water - as judged by my progress past the shore. I liked it.

Kaibab with GPS. Kaibab is a closeby lake. Elevation near 7000 MSL. Day clear water calm with discontinuities to about nine inched. Periodic wind from about ten to about fifteen MPH. My cruise was an easy pace that I can hold for a while. No wind was about 2.9 to 3.0 MPH. With 10 MPH wind following I had speeds to about 3.3 MPH. Against the wind at about 10 MPH I made about 2.7 MPH and with a harder wind of about 15 MPH I got about 2.5 MPH. Cross wind I had a solid 2.8 MPH. Flat out and with appreciable effort and splashing and some nosing of the vessel I could do an even 4.0 MPH.

As the hull speed - with a middle constant of 1.34 is about 3.3 MPH I think all the above is quite acceptable.

Meanwhile - the aftermarket Harmony spray skirt did not fit. But I just got the real Pelican item. Fits great. Wish I had this a week ago, I was in California and would have surfed him.

I think the combination of speed and stability is very good for an 8 foot boat. No complaints at all. I raise my evaluation from 8 to 10.
I have a spray skirt. Now I want to find some four foot waves! Yip!