Submitted: 09-05-2008 by wayneg

I've had mine about five months. I looked at and tried so many yaks and thought I knew what I was going to buy, until I saw and paddled this baby. I live in Florida and I really wanted a sit-in rather than a SOT. But I kept finding myself pulling my legs out of the cockpits to cool off. What I really like about the Kestrel 140 SOT is I'm not sitting "on top" per se. Instead I'm sitting in it, at water level, with an open cockpit. The lack of foot pegs took some getting used to and I can see for long legs, it might be a tad uncomfortable. I use thigh braces to get added punch to my paddle stroke and speed. I intend to replace the seat with a Surf To Summit GTS. Lots of gear space, seems a bit tippy, but you soon learn to trust it. The final "buy me" point for this boat was the weight. At 39-lbs., it's not a problem to throw it atop my two-inch lift/32-inch tire Jeep Wrangler. Great boat from Current Designs...