Submitted: 09-03-2008 by CG

I've paddled my Seayak for over 5 years now and have only just sold it (to make space for new toys!). To put some of my comments in perspective, I also paddle a racing K1 and have just acquired a surfski.

What do I love about the Seayak? A great boat for beginners or even intermediate paddlers. Very good levels of primary and secondary stability, so I often lend it out to friends who are novice paddlers. Handles rough water reasonably well, although doesn't surf as well some other sea kayaks I've paddled (maybe due to short length and lack of rocker?). It's almost indestructible - I'm sure the HTP plastic is the toughest on the market. The materials and finish are very high quality, better than most North American plastic boats. I find it very comfortable, seat and thigh braces provide lots of security (although might be too snug if you're >6 ft tall). Easy to roll, but the high seat back prevents laybacks. Deck rigging with the nets is quite functional too.

Bad points. Not the fastest boat around (actually, verging on slow), although probably similar to other boats this length and width. As many other reviewers have stated, it weathercocks to an unacceptable degree. With the rudder down its fine. It's heavy if a prolonged portage is required. On the bright side it does balance well.

Overall, I was very happy with the Seayak. A good beginners boat and great for weekend trips anywhere. A solid boat which will take a lot of abuse. However, it is an old design now and if I was considering a Prijon boat again I'd probably look at the Barracuda or Catalina.