Submitted: 09-02-2008 by mdshec

This is an update to a previous review.
I took the Old Town Guide 147 on a camping and fishing trip with my youngest daughter (11 yrs old, 85lbs) this past weekend. I did most of the paddling myself simply because when she paddled she would steer us off course a lot, but she was getting better by the end of the second day out.

Weather conditions were slightly windy probably about 10 mph which made the lakes a little choppy, paddling into the wind seemed easier then paddling with the wind, might have been because by the time we decided to call it quits we had been on the lake for about 3 hours. All in all it handled terrific on choppy water and in the wind.

I took it out by myself for a short paddle around the lake. I noticed that the bow was out of the water about 6 inches. Made the canoe real easy to turn but hard to control in the wind and had a lot of lost of stability. If I moved to the center of the canoe to paddle the stability was regained and was easier to handle in a straight line. But it was a little difficult to paddle due to the width and very difficult to turn from this position.

I will try it again by myself with a 48qt cooler filled with water sitting just behind the front seat. This should provide enough weight up front to counter balance my 200 lbs.

I would give this canoe an overall 10 except for the few issues I have had as a beginner paddler. My muscles are telling me I need to hit the gym more after this weekend.