Submitted: 08-30-2008 by mdshec

Been researching and wanting a canoe for over 10 years. The Old Town Guide 147, Mad River Explorer 14TT and the Wenonah Prospector 15 have been the models I have had my eyes on. I finally bought the Old Town Guide 147 yesterday and took it on its maiden voyage today at Fort Phantom Lake just outside of Abilene, Texas.

Primary reason I bought the Old Town was I found it at Academy Sports for 449.00. This was the cheapest I have ever seen this canoe.

I expected my maiden voyage to be solo but I bumped into a friend at the lake and asked him if he wanted to join me. Glad I did so I could give it a better review with two adult men weighing about 200 pounds each. My friend complained about the leg room up front and also the motion that he felt every time I would cast my fly rod. I did not notice any severe motion from the back seat and had plenty of leg room. I did swap seats with him for a short paddle and I noticed that the leg room was cramped and any slight motion in the boat was severely felt making me feel unstable.

I am not an expert paddler, this being the third time out in a canoe, but I did find that the Old Town was very easy to paddle in a straight path and with two adults paddling we were able to get up some fairly decent speed.

Turning the canoe was very simple at higher speeds but at slow speeds or just drifting along it was rather difficult to change the direction of the boat.

Thoroughly enjoyed the maiden voyage, caught some good size Large Mouth Bass and most important of all, I did not capsize the first time out.