Submitted: 08-19-2008 by livewiremd

This is my first Kayak and I am writing this from the viewpoint of a beginner. I have had this Kayak for about one full year and have been very satisfied. I am a 230 lb, 6ft tall man and I appreciate the high capacity of this boat. I have taken many people on rides who have weighed up to 150 lbs and have always felt stable and secure.

The boat is slim enough to paddle all this weight by myself with little fatigue. The drop down skeg is a small wonder. With it in the up position, the kayak will sometimes begin to turn on its own, but by dropping it down, the boat steers a pretty straight course. I bought a sponge and strap tie down kit to transport on the roof of my car and this cheap accessory works fine for me. It is a bit heavy to place on the car and a friend is recommended, but I have done the lift to my car roof by myself when needed.

The kayak is fairly stable on the lake I ride it in but quick movements can cause a lean that will take on water. The kayak has no flotation devices to keep it from sinking, but I store a paddle float in the nose and this should help things. You must either pump out water with a pump or stand it up on end (which is a pain to do by yourself or in the wind). I make the firm seats a little more comfortable by padding the sides with my life jacket. The paddles that came with it seem a little small for me and I will buy some that have a little more surface area.

I do have a great time in this boat on my calm to slightly wavy lake, but I am not certain that I would take this down a fast river. In general, for what I paid, this has been worth every cent.