Submitted: 08-15-2008 by Badger-wi

I have owned a 13' Mansfied for almost 20 years, and it's the best fishing craft I've ever used.
I'm a serious fly fisherman and the Mansfield is light enough to hump into backwoods ponds and lakes, stable enough to stand up while casting, and very easy to paddle reasonable distances. I rigged a drag line off the stern to drag a chain, so it behaves like a river boat on trout rivers (the built-in keel acts like a hard chine against the current) when poled. Then, I rigged a small electric motor to an outrigger mount, and it STEPS OUT for traveling longer distances on lakes. With PVC rod holders under the thwart & seats -- and a cooler of cold beer, you couldn't ask for anything better.

My only complaint is that the gel coat has flaked off in several places on the hull, which I patch every few years with epoxy glue. It looks tacky, but only shows when the canoe is upside down.

New York Kayak Co.: