Submitted: 08-12-2008 by trkramer

I recently purchase the Perception Sundance 12 at Dick's Sporting Goods and would have to say that this is a fantastic kayak. I have been looking at purchasing a kayak to get back into paddling and was looking at boats between 10 and 12 feet long. My plan was to do more paddling in lakes and calmer waters and don't have any plans on taking it white water rafting or into the ocean. I was actually going to buy a Wilderness Systems Pungo but the Sundance caught my eye. I walked over to look at it and when the original $599 price tag came down to $389, it was hard to pass up.

I have spent about 4 hours in the boat thus far and really love it. It tracks well in the water and I feel like as long as I keep the target in front of me and continue to paddle, it really doesn't drift. Yes, the ripples and wake from local boats cause it to go to the side, but that's the yak' fault :)

The cockpit is roomy (I am 6'2" at 195 lbs), the adjustable foot pegs are great, and it's actually relatively easy to load and unload from my Honda Odyssey. I imagine if I were shorter, I wouldn't like throwing that up on to my van though.

My only real complaint thus far is that the rear storage compartment leaks so it's not 100% dry storage. The design of the rubber lid is kind of a pain as well, but not a deal breaker. The front bungee strap is nice to have but I would much prefer a paddle holder somewhere on the side. I am sure that is something I can add if I want to.

I have not experienced any issues with the seat at this point like some of the other reviewers and found it to be comfortable thus far. So overall, I would have to give it an 8.5, but had to round up to a 9!! It's a great boat and a lot of fun. I'll probably add some foam around the cockpit to protect my knees but that's pretty much all I am going to change.