Submitted: 08-12-2008 by Oregonguy

This is a follow-up on my Cayuga 146 review of over a year ago. I am still pleased with the performance of this kayak, but offer here one caveat to the former review. It concerns the coaming, the curved lip around the cockpit that accepts the elastic bungee of the spray skirt. I have always had a difficult time getting my spray skirt to stay attached. Many times, simply leaning too far forward caused the skirt to pull off the rear of the coaming. I use an Extrasport skirt, the proper size, according to their charts (Extrasport is owned by the same company that owns Old Town), and too often I need help from my paddling friends to get the skirt fitted properly while I'm in the cockpit. My friends kid me about having to "dress me for the paddle."

I finally took a closer look at the coaming around other kayaks. ALL of them have a sharper curve, or attachment area than my Cayuga. In other words, the bungee on the skirt sits deeper into the coaming on other kayaks. The Cayuga coaming has a softer curve and I know that's why I can't keep the skirt on. I still believe the Cayuga series is a great kayak, you can read my earlier review for more info, but after much paddling in even calm surf, the problem is more important than before. I may try another brand of spray skirt, but I still believe the coaming is the problem.

So, my rating for this great kayak, if you need a spray skirt, goes from a 10 to a seven. Sorry, Old Town, but I believe we have a problem....