Submitted: 08-12-2008 by gayle28607

I have the rotomolded plastic Pamlico 100, and love it. I wanted a kayak that could handle me at the paddle with my 6 year old or my dog seated in front of me, and that would also make a good first kayak for my daughter when she gets older. This is it. The kayak is very stable without feeling like a tank.

Another advantage of this particular kayak is that I am 5'8" tall and about 150 pounds and feel pretty comfortable picking up the kayak and putting it over a shoulder to carry it to the shore when I'm on my own. At 42 pounds, it's heavy, but the padded knee and thigh brace system on the Pamlico also provides decent padding for a shoulder carry.

The seat dries wonderfully quickly, which is nice when a wet dog or child is your kayaking companion. I also find it fun to paddle, and surprisingly fast. Given my needs, this kayak was a great choice. I plan to keep it for a long time.