Submitted: 08-07-2008 by JeffA

I bought a Sirocco this spring after selling my CD Storm. I wanted to get away from a rudder and get a boat that was more versatile. I am 6'2", 195 lbs and this boat fits perfectly.

I have read that some find it a bit tippy at first. For beginners it may feel that way, but once you have some time in any kayak, you come to realize that this boat is just very responsive. It is easy to edge and can spin on a dime, in the surf, when put even slightly on edge. Speaking of surf, this is where this boat shines. I paddle the Great Lakes and regularly take it out in 3-4 foot waves. This boat is totally at home in rough water and is very easy to surf (for a sea kayak). The hatches are all secure and dry with no implosion problems.

The poly that CD uses seems to be a bit more abrasion resistant than many other manufacturers and this boat really stands up to rough landings (voluntary or involuntary). This is a great boat for a competent beginner or an intermediate looking to take their skills to the next level. I feel that rudders degrade paddling ability and the skeg on this boat functions smoothly and reliably. It will allow you to increase your paddling skill and has helped me become a better kayaker.

Why did I rate it a "9"? The thigh braces are dated. CD should join the new era and add the adjustable outfitting like Wilderness Systems, Perception and Necky. I have had to foam out the thigh brace and hip area, a little bit. If they put in something similar to WS phase 3, this boat would be head and shoulders about anything in its class. Take one for a test paddle. It may not be for everyone, but for those that it fits.....what a ride!!