Submitted: 08-07-2008 by lpd22

I have owned my Gannet for many years, and I bought it off a friend who had it for a couple years. We have journeyed on the big waters of Lake Erie and the Gulf of Mexico for day trips, without any issues. Loaded down, we have journeyed down swollen Michigan rivers (Rifle and Manistee). And have spent hours relaxing on placid inland lakes.

The Gannet is stable and forgiving. The skeg is wonderful and simple to engage/disengage. If you don't have one attached, call Necky, they are cheap and easy to install. The people at Necky are pleasant to deal with over the phone. My children have all used this kayak, from ten years old to 21. Its a favorite.

Complaints: Definitely the seat. It does get uncomfortable, especially the seat back. They (Necky) do not make an alternative seat or a slip-on pad for it, so you have to glue closed cell padding on it for comfort.
The second complaint: No bulk heads or compartments... everything must be stuffed in via the cockpit.
Those are the only two things that have kept it from a 10. Would I recommend a Gannet... Absolutely!

Talic: