Submitted: 08-06-2008 by lpd22

Purchased this boat through Dick's Sporting Goods for $60 (a good sale and Visa perks). For the price it is a fine canoe.
I've spent adequate time in borrowed Wenonah Itasca's and Sundowners throughout Canada, Michigan and Ohio, but could only afford an Old Town Penobscot 17 (royalex) and a Mad River Explorer 16 (royalex). So the Guide 147 is a replacement beater for my stolen Mohawk Blazer 16. Like I said, for the price point you get a solid dependable canoe. It paddles easily and is extremely stable. The seats are a tad uncomfortable compared to cane seats, but are care free and durable. The canoe bottom is a bit too pliable and moves constantly up and down under your feet. Not that it is an issue, I'm just not use to that from higher end canoes. Stability is superb. This is a canoe I leave in Florida, so unfortunately it sits outside under the palms. It handles estuaries and slow moving rivers excellently. I also use this canoe as out family fishing vessel, loaded down with a Minn Kota Saltwater trolling motor and a couple teenage kids. It does get disconcerting when larger boats pass by creating substantial wakes, but we always stayed upright.

If you spend a lot of time portaging, or paddling with those in sleeker boats, you will desire to graduate to something higher end. I gave it an eight rating only because of my comparison with higher end boats that I've used and owned. For the dollar value I would not hesitate to recommend it.