Submitted: 08-05-2008 by tito

I bough this kayak three years ago and have used pretty consistently since. I've fished out of it and used it to poke around in lakes and streams here in the midwest.

Pros:
Despite its weight (about 75 lbs), I don't have any trouble mounting or dismounting it by myself from my explorer's roof rack.
It is super stable. Large cockpit makes it really easy to get in and out of and I've never felt like there was any real danger of tipping (also, I've not used it in surf or significant current/rapids). I like it and am glad that I bought it.

Cons:
I don't think it tracks quite as well as it should for its size. I think this is because it doesn't have much of a keel and no rudder.
It also seems to get blown a bit which I suspect has to do with it being a big, wide, flat bottomed boat.
As its really wide and heavy, it can be a real strain if you have to pull into the wind for any distance.

All in all, I love mine. It's stable enough to fish out of, big enough to haul my camping/fishing gear without having to be picky about what I take and I totally trust it to get me there and back. I would caution against getting one of these if you're not the brawny type as it is a bit heavy to be tossing around and can take some strength to pull if you get into the wind. If you're built more like a bulldozer than a race car, then I think you'll like it as much as I do.

Talic: