Submitted: 08-01-2008 by jimtex222

I bought this 9'5" in early June 07 at Academy Sports so my wife can have something cheap to paddle with me when I go out but I liked padding hers better than my 12'2" Heritage Featherlite. She would not give it up so I had to buy another one for me.

The short yak weighs 40# and both fits and rides easily in the back of my small truck and maneuvers excellent in the water, tracks straight,goes anywhere,is stable,is fast,is comfortable and does not try to turn with the currents thus making this boat easy to paddle even for a weak paddler. I have been in 3-4 ft waves and swells and felt safe although I did get wet.

The seat is not the most comfortable that I've had but it's not bad and easily adjustable to support my back for a couple of hours before I need to get out and stretch.

I have heard complaints about storage problems but I have had no problem shoving a very large stuff sack under the stern and still have plenty of room for a good size bag behind the seat as well as bunging on waterproof duffel bags on the deck and stern thus giving much more cargo room than most people need.

I have also heard complaints about knee placement problems but with the adjustable backrest and footpegs I managed to place my knees pretty much wherever I wanted to and still remained comfortable.

I have enjoyed this boat by day touring, floating, relaxing and for paddling fast for a good upper body workout as well as catching a lot of fish. The stable 30" width allows for a small bag on each side of the seat between the sidewalls. I use one to carry a couple of water bottles and the other holds the anchor which holds the boat stable even in 30 mph winds.

These yaks are 07 models that came with 2 flush mounted rod holders in back but I aim to install a front mounted Scotty rod holder soon. The 08 models have these installed already.

I have spent well over 100 hours in this boat and I seem to like it better every time I go out and my wife likes it as much as I do. The plastic hull is heavy duty that holds up excellent after occasionally hitting rocks and stumps thus making these boats among my best investments.

In summary, I give the Featherlite 9'5" kayak a full 10 rating and I recommend it to anybody that wants a simple easy to carry boat that goes anywhere and does everything.