Submitted: 07-25-2008 by Paul Zuiker

To every season there is a paddle… About six years ago I started out with an Aquabound Expedition. Very durable fiberglass shaft. It is easy to use and has taken a lot of punishment. Then I got the urge for a lighter more balanced paddle and change to a Werner Camano – straight shaft carbon paddle. It is light as can be and versatile. I like being able to change to a 45 degree feather. Just right!

But I kept hearing about greenland paddles and wanted to give one a try. Unfortunately, I did not have any friends with one to try. So I started reading what I could on Pnet and then found the Lumpy Paddles website. That was a great start. It is filled with lots of good information without getting preachy or technical.

Next came the ordering process. I called Bill and ordered my Lumpy paddle. Since these are handmade to your specifications, there is a wait. The wait was well worth it. In March I got my new paddle and have had lots of fun.

Bill treats his customers as good friends and makes sure you are satisfied and can really use the paddle. We have shared many wonderful conversations and I have learned from his knowledge.

The paddle is a work of art, but shows it quality when used. It is versatile, light and easy on the body. I was amazed at how easy it was to transition from a feathered Euro style paddle to using a Greenland paddle. Of course, there are lots of suggestions out there, but the paddle teaches you how to use it. It gives you many paddling options that cannot be easily done with a Euroblade. No more worrying about left/right, front/back, up or down. The paddle is a custom fitted tool that does the job.

I just wish that I could have this kind of buying experience when getting a new home or my next car. Yes, I really like my Lumpy paddle.