Submitted: 07-22-2008 by bruce
I've been using my Lumpy for a few months and maybe a hundred miles. I've used it mainly on flat water but sometimes in very windy conditions.
  1. THE BUYING EXPERIENCE- Bill at Lumpy is extremely cordial and easy to work with. He is obsessive/compulsive on measurements. Bill has sent me many tips on Greenland paddling which have accelerated my learning process significantly. He is very responsive and professional.
  2. PERFORMANCE- my Lumpy makes my Werner Ikelos feel heavy. I haven't weighed my Lumpy but I estimate it to be near the 20 oz. level (or less?) The western red cedar is high-quality wood and is more durable than I had anticipated; although I've added a few nicks.
It is well-balanced, easy to grip (the feel of the wood is nice), and is conducive to a fast cadence, steady rhythm and torso rotation. Use of this GP has improved my EP stroke.

It is easy to bury the blade in the water quickly with ANY angle stroke or cant angle. It appears more power is generated with a greater cant angle. It is very quiet in the water during all phases of the stroke.

Although it takes longer than my Euro to get up to speed, once at cruising speed it maintains a very respectable pace. People in my area have commented that they were surprised at the speed that the paddle generates.

It is far superior to the two other GPs that I have sampled. I recommend that Lumpy be on the short list for anyone considering a GP.