Submitted: 07-18-2008 by Franklin

I have owned three intermediate skis to date; this Evo, a V10 Sport and a Fenn XT. I still own the Evo and the Sport (the Sport is for sale).
The XT is by far the most stable. The Sport and Evo have similar stability traits with the nod going to the Sport because of its uncanny secondary stability (as good as some kayaks). My Think Evo surf ski is their Kevlar/honeycomb/epoxy vacuumed bag layup. The Evo weighs in at about 25.5 pounds and is very light weight. The Evo is 20 feet 6 inches long and 19 inches wide. Its bow and stern are very fine. The Evo carries its width at the seat.

The fit and finish on my Think is PERFECT. It is art work. It also appears durable and it has been durable for me. To save weight, Think uses a thin gel coat and then a high tech paint for its finish. I have not had any problems at all with the finish but I am very careful with all my boats. Regarding the color, itís great; you could see this boat from the Space Shuttle in orbit. The Evoís bright and vivid yellow paint scheme is beautiful and very visible. The Evo does not have an external seam. Its appearance is elegant. The seating position is more comfortable than any surf ski or kayak I have ever owned, it is all day comfortable. Its venturi drain keeps the boat completely dry and unlike any other ski Iíve seen, its drain is part of the boatís mold (very fluid). The carbon foot brace/pedals are easy to adjust and large.

As a "wanna be", I am always working on my form. Having a larger/longer foot brace allows me to "pump" without the boat wagging too badly back and forth thru the water (tough to be me). The Think has a new (Iíve never seen it before) adjustment mechanism in which you can adjust the rake on the pedals, very cool and very easy to fine tune the pedals.

With me in the boat, it is slightly faster than the Sport and considerably faster than the XT. I believe any ambitious paddler could easily paddle this boat. The Evo comes standard with a rear deck bungee, forward cockpit screw hatch and paddle leash tether. I love the paddle leash tether in the cockpit and use mine to tether my camel back; keeping it low, forward and very reachable.

My Evo rides waves great. If you prefer wave riding over quiet waters (I hope you do, thatís where these boats really shine!), their 8.25 inch deep rudder is a must. In three plus foot waves, the Evo with its 6 inch rudder wants to breach and turn up if you are not perpendicular to the wave. Linked rides are a hoot and very easy to put together with this boat.

The Think owner and boat designer, Daryl Rhemmer, has been a delight to work with; as good as or better than any person I have bought a boat from (thatís pretty good, Iíve owned a lot of boats). He truly wants you... and me to be happy. I could elaborate.

If you are interested in taking "the" next step (leaving fast sea kayaks for a surf ski), I donít think you could go wrong with the Think Evo. It has been my favorite boat, which Iíve owned, so far. It should definitely be on your short list of boats to try. It is also a boat you wonít soon grow out of. I am delighted with my purchase of the Think and highly recommend the Evo to others.

Finally, I am not an elite or expert paddler and sadly consider myself to be an average intermediate. So, if I can do it and love it, you could too! Go try a ski!