Submitted: 07-17-2008 by Rob W.

I have a CD Extreme HV and find it is one of the faster ocean touring kayaks around. I'm 6'2" and about 210 lbs. and test paddled several dozen kayaks before I found one with suitable leg room for someone of my height. I find the Extreme "very comfortable".

The boat is great for day trips. I typically paddle it around a 9 mi. reservoir every weekend without a second thought, while many other kayakers on the reservoir think twice about such a trip.

The Extreme HV has plenty of space for camping gear. I took it on a 9 day camping/island hopping trip to the Adirondacks with my wife, and it fit everything I needed for the duration.

Hatches are easy to open and close, and are largely water tight (I get a few tablespoons of water in the front hatch after much rolling).
I almost never use the rudder...only if there are severe cross-winds or I am surfing waves.
In the ocean, the front deck sheds waves nicely and provides a dry ride.

The boat's relatively narrow beam takes a little bit to get used to, and at first I was hesitant to buy a kayak that did not feel "rock steady". However, after several years of paddling it, I'm now wishing that CD will create a somewhat sleeker extreme with a beam of 19 or 20 inches. (My wife and I recently purchased some Epic V10 surf skiis for fun. If you think the Extreme is tippy, you should try these 17" wide kayaks.)
Needless to say, I find the Extreme easy to roll.

The only negatives:
  1. Back of cockpit is rather high, so it is impossible to lie back on deck;
  2. Fiberglass wt. is a bit heavy, although I can still lift it over my head to place on the roof rack;
  3. I now wish for a slightly narrower beam.
Overall, this is a really great boat!