Submitted: 07-16-2008 by Darin Bird

I've owned my Old Town Discovery 169 since 1991. It has been a great canoe - extremely rugged, handles massive amounts of gear, and is a stable fishing platform. I've used it exclusively for river running in the Texas Hill Country and West Texas deserts. I've had it in rapids up to class III. It has bounced off thousands of river rocks and never flinched.

I recommend the D-169 for anyone wanting a solid built, relatively inexpensive canoe that can be loaded to the gills with gear. The hull will literally last for decades if stored out of the sun. If you plan to do a lot of river running in abrasive, rocky conditions, consider having kevlar skid plates professionally installed.

Look for another canoe if you want to go light and fast. This is not a racer - more like a Ford Superduty.

Bending Branches: