Submitted: 07-16-2008 by JDELASHMIT

I have owned my Otter for about 3 years now. During this time I have paddled over 300 miles in the state of Indiana. I purchased this kayak for around $250.00, it's all my wife would let me spend.

I have paddled a few other kayaks but I still think the OT Otter is one of my favorites, it tracks well for a short boat if paddled correctly, and it turns very quickly when needed. Indiana is known for downed trees and strainers in the rivers so quick turns are important. After the first 2 years I made some modifications to the Otter after paddling some other kayaks. I added footbraces which made a huge difference, also added a Harmony 1" closed cell foam seat pad. The seat pad was "self stick" but the Otter seat is rough so I used plastic automobile rivets to secure the seat in about 5 places. This helped prevent my legs and rear end from getting numb so quickly.

The rounded deck on the Otter makes it difficult for a smaller person to roll efficiently so I added some PVC tubing to the inside of the rim to act as knee braces and rolling is very easy now.

Overall the Otter is very versatile and I would recommend it as a good value. The only drawback is if you are paddling with touring kayaks on larger lakes you may get worn out as speed is not one of the attributes of this kayak. (I paddle it about 4 MPH)