Submitted: 07-16-2008 by mcblue
Wow! I just picked up my new Norkapp LV "Pro-Kevlar" boat and that's the first thing that came into my head, Wow.
First, I should tell you I am moving from a plastic Current Designs Storm, which in all fairness, has been a very solid dependable boat, and I gave it a beating. But, with an improvement in skills (hopefully), I felt it was time to get into a real kayak. I am 5'10", 165 pound male, who's been paddling for just over 10 years. I think I test paddled at least 10-12 boats, of many styles, and almost was sold on the Impex Cat 4. But then, I decided to paddle one more, and I fell in love with my Nordkapp LV.

It is quick getting top speed and a dream at cruising. My normal evening 8 mile paddle was 15 minutes faster on my first trip. As stated by previous reviewer, it was definitely twitchy at the start, but I expected that when I moved to a narrower boat. It literally turns on a dime when leaned, and I can't wait to go out during the day to roll. I've never used a skeg, but I was in some serious wind, current, and chop, and was able to track effortlessly with just a little skeg.

The fit and finish of this boat is amazing and the fit is almost perfect. With my size 10 Keenes, it was a little tight getting in, but once under way, I was fine. I have not tried a wet exit yet, but am not anticipating any issues. I chose the "Pro-Kevlar" (Kevlar/ Carbon hull)to save the weight, since getting on and off the car is the only part of this sport I don't like. The deck lay-out is well thought out and I love having the day hatch for my small odds and ends. Since I have actually only been out twice, I don't think it fair to give a 10, but I'm certain after a few more paddles, I will be updating my review.