Submitted: 07-15-2008 by PungoDon
I own both the Pungo 120 and the Old Town Dirigo 120 and find them to be very similar. The larger cockpit makes the Pungo a little more comfortable for me (6' 190lbs) and it seems to be a little lighter.

They both track very well and the Pungo is a bit harder to make sharp turns without back-paddling on one side. I like the padding on the side of the cockpit better than the Dirigo's. It seems more durable and the fasteners are a more secure method of installation than the stick on pads on the Dirigo. The seats are very comfortable on both.

I've used the Pungo quite a bit in the 6 weeks that I've owned it and I really can't come up with any real complaints. It came with a Harmony add-on console. I like the option of using it or leaving it behind. When I first got the boat it had a deformed cockpit, offset from the centerline and, I believe, it affected the boat's tracking. EMS was quick to replace it and Wilderness Systems was very helpful. I'm sure they would have stepped in if I had any problems resolving the issue. The replacement boat is flawless and tracks like an arrow.

I've only used these two boats and only in ponds, lakes, and slow moving rivers so my experience is limited. It is obviously not a perfect kayak as there are faster and more maneuverable boats out there, but it is a very good play boat and I would recommend it to anyone not looking for high performance.