Submitted: 07-14-2008 by bubbleheaddiver1989

Eddyline is a great small kayak business. I bought my Phoenix in June 08 after being impressed with the Eddyline touring boats on a test paddle. The Phoenix has been discontinued for 2008, so I got a deal on a left-over 08 model. It replaces my Zoar Sport, now my back-up boat.

Shortly after the purchase, I emailed Eddyline with a question about the drop down skeg. Designer/owner Tom Derrer personally responded. This really impressed me.

Initial stability can be a bit intimidating for a first-time paddler but after paddling for 8 years, I really appreciate the medium initial stability and high secondary stability. I can really lean the boat when making a turn. And it turns on a dime. The long bow keeps me dry on choppy seas. It will weather-cock but as the other reviewer stated, it's easily countered by paddle stroke, edging and/or skeg deployment. The Carbonlite material makes the boat extremely light and is very attractive. I've added a permanently mounted deck compass. The fore and aft bulkhead compartments can hold a lot of gear. The boat is fast, with a max speed of 6.5 MPH on GPS.

Last week I had the misfortune of dropping the boat stern first when I was loading the boat on my truck. It caused cracking aft of the stern on the boat's bottom. I am pleased to learn that Carbonlite is easily repairable and I should have my boat back in 2 days or less from my dealer. Eddyline sells a do-it-yourself kit but with the boat being new, I wanted it professionally done to preserve the new "look."

I do not hesitate to recommend both the Phoenix and other boats in the Eddyline line. My next boat may very well be the Fathom in Pearl Blue.