Submitted: 07-11-2008 by cecil

I wanted to try a surfski in 2007 after kayaking for a year and a half with my Nordkapp. After extensive research, I chose the Epic V10-Sport with the blue stripe on the side. I knew that I had to capsize a lot in my learning curve but how long? Fortunately I read an article by David Mocke, one of the top surfski paddler in the world, that 5-8 hours of paddling time is all that it takes. So I paddled at the Berkeley Aquatic Park which has a waist deep water. I also recorded my paddling time each session. And on about the 7th hour of total paddling time, I was ready for the Oakland Estuaries.

Paddling the V10-S was addicting. The re-mount was doable unlike with my kayak which is very difficult and time consuming. I ended up just using the surfski every Saturday. Poor Nordkapp.

The only complaint I heard from others with the V10-Sport is the wide cockpit. I tried all kinds of side padding and nothing seem to work the way I like it. But then there is the NRS hip pads (available in most kayak stores) that were in my parts bin that I tried. That one worked!

As a whole, the V10-Sport design and function is excellent. The cockpit layout is better than most and very comfortable. I wish I had the horse power to take full advantage of the V10-Sport capabilities. Definitely an enjoyable experience for me.