Submitted: 07-10-2008 by db

Ok after several poor reviews on this canoe, I must say I'm finally happy with this boat. I contacted Pelican, they actually responded. My seats were both broken. It was going to cost me 150.00 to have them replaced. I was considering cutting my loses and trashing the thing. But I got on EBAY and found a set of ash/mesh seats. I ordered them and got them in. I was discouraged with how to mount these seats to my canoe since the seats mount from the side instead of the top as most other canoes do. After some research, I found some mounts on the NET. I was able to make these mounts out of oak and lowered the seats to 4 inches below the factory junk. I used 3" PVC drain pipe and constructed 2 keel supports for the new seats. This thing is rock solid in the water now. I'm also considering adding a set of foam sponsons on each side for just a little added flotation for fishing. In short, for about 60 bucks I've made this canoe comparable to my friends Old Towns that cost double what I paid. I still say hold off and BUY OLD TOWN if you can afford it, but if you can't, try my seat idea, you'll enjoy the trip much better dry.