Submitted: 07-09-2008 by jcs44

I recently bought this canoe at Sam's. It was the display model and for $170 with paddles, I could not pass it up. This canoe is made by Johnson Outdoors who also owns Old Town Canoes. You will find this OT Sport 14 under other names as well, such as Rogue River and Field & Stream (at Dicks Sporting Goods) according to the manual.

For the money, this is a decent canoe for use on mostly quiet water. It's wider than most which helps stability but gets in the way for efficient paddling, and like all "poly" canoes, it's a bit heavy. All I can say about those who complain about this canoe's stability is that they must be really new to canoeing, because we have no issues at all with it. I gave it an 8 simply because it's a low end recreational canoe. With this in mind, it's hard to beat.

YakGrips: